ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
The Department of Science and Humanities is one of the most successful and inter disciplinary Departments. It is housed in a separate building with excellent classrooms, laboratories, workshop facilities and a conference hall which has excellent acoustics which can accommodate 300 people. The Department provides an in-depth knowledge on a wide range of subjects namely Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Engineering Graphics, Basics of Civil and Mechanical Engineering and English. It inculcates in each student, a mastery of the fundamentals to enhance the capacity and analytical thought of an individual with a motivation for learning and intellectual discipline. The Main objective of the department is to enrich the knowledge of the students and understand the basic concepts of fundamental Mathematics, science, and language that enable them to improve their applicative skills in Engineering profession.
The department is headed by a Senior professor strengthened by a team of 30 competent faculty members of which 16 of them are Doctorates. They discharge their duties as resource heads for various co-curricular and extra curricular activities. Eminent academicians from reputed institutions and foreign universities are invited as resource persons and chairpersons in various academic programmes organized by the department periodically for exchange of knowledge to the faculty and students.
The department has an excellent infrastructure with laboratories and workshops equipped with sophisticated electronic equipments.
- A state-of-the-art communication skills laboratory with the updated version of Cambridge University’s Learn to Speak English and English in Mind software is available to strengthen the Communication skills of the students. The Department has 3 doctorates in the faculty strength of 4. The faculty have published 23 papers in reputed peer reviewed Journals.
- The Mathematics department is recognised as a research department by Anna university and the faculty are well qualified to teach and guide scholars in the field of Differential Equations, Difference Equations and Operations Research. It has a faculty strength of 12 and among them 5 are doctorates with 2 qualified research guides. The department to its credit has 129 publications in reputed National and International journals.
- The Physics Department with a spacious laboratory has been furnished with Helium Neon laser beams to determine particle size,Spectral analysis using spectrometer; thermal conductivity using Lee’s Disc apparatus and properties of matters are demonstrated. It has a faculty strength of 5 and all of them are doctorates.The faculty have published 33 papers in reputed peer reviewed Journals.
- The Chemistry laboratory is well equipped fully with all latest instruments such as UV Visible Spectrophotometer, Flame Photometer, Potentiometer, Conductometer, pH meter required for the conduct of physical and analytical experiments. It has a faculty strength of 5 with 2 doctorates. The faculty have published 36 papers in reputed peer reviewed Journals
- The workshops are well equipped to conduct the Electrical and Electronics Engineering experiments in addition to regular carpentry, welding, fitting and foundry, etc. The department has an excellent state-of-the-art computer laboratory with the updated versions of software and hardware exclusively for the first year students.